Thursday, April 12, 2012

K is for Knees

Kriminey Kristol, we're up to K in the A to Z Challenge.

You may kneel on bended knees at church or dramatically in front of your beloved intended as you pop the question, but knees never rate a conscious thought -- until they don't work the way they should.

My knees aren't giving me trouble, but it seems like I know more than my share of people with knee problems. The latest is Stu McNicol, the husband of dear friend Donna McNicol. Stu, a retired firefighter, had two knees replaced during the same operation on March 27. In a word: Ouch!

Stu's operation by all accounts was a big success and he's undergoing a couple of weeks of strenuous rehab.

I was surprised to learn that firefighters often have knee problems. Climbing ladders with the weight of all their equipment must take a toll.

I read a lot of mysteries and thriller/suspense novels. I can't think of one that I've read that hasn't used a knee as a weapon. Somewhere with that book, the hero or heroine is going to be attacked and BINGO the bad guy gets a knee to the groin and our hero escapes. Works every time.

Now, I have to wonder if the heroes will have to have knee replacement surgery.

Be sure to read about Donna and Stu's adventures as full-time RVers on her blog and her cute fiction for the A to Z Challenge on My Write Spot.

6 comments:

  1. I'm a horse person. Lots of knee issues among the 40+ riding set. Too much posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a long post on knees.

    ---Damyanti, Co-host A to Z Challenge April 2012
    Amlokiblogs

    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the mention...know Stu appreciates it. I'll send him this link so he can comment on why firefighters have bad knees. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel way older than I am sometimes because my left knee's been bugging me.:)
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com
    Just A-Zing around!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eek - my knees hurt just thinking about it! Sorry to hear this. i hope all those you wrote about feel a lot better, knee-wise, soon!

    I'm leaving you my A-Z link as blogger
    always identifies me as my shared blog with other poets - my A-Z is this one: http://www.lizbrownleepoet.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fire fighters routinely carry many pounds of gear when performing their duties. Protective equipment can weight as much as 40 pounds plus the tools and equipment he/she is going to need. Falls are common and as a young man full of pride you just pick yourself up and move on. Little knowing the damage you may have done. I have fallen and crashed into things while fighting fires, the knees just take a beating. Additionally many F/F s are also Paramedics. I was one for 27 years. Carrying gear, heavy patients and equipment up and down stairs all take a toll. I'm sure there is some genetic predisposition for my knees wearing out, but by and large it was doing the best job in the world and paying the price for it.....wouldn't change a thing!

    ReplyDelete