Tuesday, April 3, 2012

C is for Compliment

Day three of the A to Z Challenge. Quick! Someone compliment me for getting to letter "C".

Everyone likes to get a sincere compliment. It literally makes your day.

And even the one giving the compliment will get good vibes from doing so.

It is easy to do. Just observe and reward good behavior with a compliment.

I go to McDonald's for a sausage biscuit, hash browns and large black coffee nearly every morning. McD's is close by -- just two short blocks away. Most of the staff are quite friendly. And, I've found that by smiling, saying polite thank you's, and saying things like "I appreciate your good service" or "Your smile in the morning makes my day" pays dividends. Now, if any one of a half dozen McD's employees see me park my van, they'll have my order rang up as I approach the counter. And, one even told me how to place the order so that it costs me $3.21 instead of $3.73.

If I order a sausage biscuit meal with large coffee, the total comes to $3.73. If I order a sausage biscuit, hashbrowns and a large coffee, the bill is only $3.21.

Of course, you need to be careful with compliments. Telling the sweet young thing at work that her dress is sexy is probably not a good idea. An innocent remark, regardless of its good intentions, can get one in a lot of hot water. Especially in the work place. My advice is to lower your sight lines from the neck line to the feet. Complimenting a woman on her nice shoes will always be welcomed.

I bought a new cowboy hat at a consignment shop. It has a wild purple hat band on it. I wore it to the mall one day and I got at least five "nice hat!" comments as I was walking around. That made my day.

I had thought about writing about being a curmudgeon for the letter "C". I definitely am one. Heck, an Orlando Sentinel columnist was calling me a curmudgeon before I turned 50. Being a curmudgeon means that I have to be very careful when I dole out compliments for fear that they will be left handed compliments. ("No, dear, that dress doesn't make you look fat.")

Maybe we'll explore those when we get to the letter "L".

4 comments:

  1. Hello DC,

    What a great post! I think this is my new favorite blog! I will definitely be back to see what you dream up for the other letters, and to read more of your writing. I am following now.

    As for the shoe compliment: that was my (now) husband's opening line when we met-- "I love your shoes!" We have been married 12 years and have 2 kids, so the line obviously works.

    I am doing the A to Z Challenge as well. Take a peek at my blog too if you get a chance! I write humor, and everyone says I am the funniest person on the planet (well, maybe it is just the voices in my head saying that—that’s the doctor’s latest explanation—but I will take what I can get).

    Best,
    MOV
    http://mothersofbrothersblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. MOV, I love your A, B, C blogs! I was lucky in that our kids were grown before Chucky came on the scene. But one daughter has an 11 year old that has run the gamut of places to go for birthday parties. She got smart in February and ordered a couple of bouncy things to be put in the back yard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been doing a lot of compliments and thanks you's since hubby has been in hospital and rehab. So many thankless chores/jobs being done. It takes no time at all to thank someone.

    Keep up the good work, DC. Loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We chose the same word for C. I've just caught up on all your AtoZ's and have thoroughly enjoyed them. Thank you for giving me something Interesting and fun to read this morning.

    ReplyDelete