Friday, April 13, 2018

L is for Ladders


For the past thirty years, my wife has insisted that we put up Christmas lights around the outside of the house. Every year, I bitch and moan, but do it.

The biggest problem is that all three of the houses we have lived in during that time has had a peak in the roof over the double garage doors. It is too high to put up lights from a six foot step ladder.

In Melbourne, I would go next door and borrow the neighbor's extension ladder. He'd always gladly lend it to me and would say, "Keep it in your garage until after Christmas."  So I did.

After five years, I was talking to his wife and she remarked that they never put up Christmas lights because her husband always said, "I can't. D.C. has my ladder."  The next Christmas I returned the ladder after I put up my lights and he had to put up his lights too. He laughed about it, but I think he hated me!

In Largo, I borrowed an eight foot stepladder to do the job from an old-timer across the street.

When we moved to Clearwater eight years ago, I was able to borrow another eight foot stepladder from another old-timer across the street. Then last year, he moved. Damn!  After 30 years, I had to go out and buy a big stepladder. That gets used twice a year. To put up and take down Christmas lights.

I think the term for that is: "Bah, humbug!"

4 comments:

  1. We have LOTS of ladders but have never put up outside lights. Snow and Ice kept him off the roof most years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ROFLOL!!! Love it...thanks for sharing!! Since we are in the RV over Christmas, it's not an issue for us.

    Donna B. McNicol|Author and Traveler
    A to Z Flash Fiction Stories | A to Z of Goldendoodles

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a solution! Our neighbors in California left white Christmas lights up year round. Every time they had a birthday or other celebration, they turned the lights on. They privately told me it was so they did not have to climb the ladder but publicly told people they left them up for year round celebrations.

    Emily In Ecuador | Mototaxis - Second Most Popular Way to Get Around Puerto Lopez, Ecuador

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily, when I see someone still has their Christmas lights up months afterwards,I always remark, "Look! An alcoholic lives there." That's speaking from experience of back when I was drinking. LOL (Have been sober over 35 years now.)

      Delete