Sunday, April 1, 2018

A is for Alcoholism

Our first day as part of the A to Z Challenge



Alcoholics come in all shapes, sizes, and ethnic backgrounds and are not just the people under the bridge or drunk on a bench, like Kermit in the picture above.

They come from all walks in life. I've personally known lawyers, doctors, the head of a large chamber of commerce, firemen, fishermen, pilots (both commercial and military), submariners, engineers, nurses, roofers, clergy (including Father Martin), and more who are recovering alcoholics.

In Alcoholics Anonymous, they consider sober alcoholics as recovering versus recovered since once an alcoholic always an alcoholic -- and we are always just one drink away from a drunk.

Yes, I said, "we". I'm an alcoholic -- a recovering one with over 35 years of sobriety.

I am a very lucky alcoholic. While at the end of my drinking I was drinking a quart of 100 proof vodka a day -- plus a beer or two and probably some wine and cognac to boot -- I never had a DUI, I never got fired from my job, I didn't get divorced. I used to say that I never had an accident, but I now remember hitting the curb a couple of times and blowing out a tire.

I was also fortunte enough at the time I got sober to work for a company whose insurance paid for my 28 day stay in a rehab center and who paid me my normal wages for those four weeks.

During rehab, we were taken to local AA meetings every day. And, were welcomed there. After rehab, I transitioned to going to AA. The slogans on the wall made a lot more sense then than they did when I played at going to AA prior to rehab.

The sobriety journey has been a wonder.

* I found out that I could dance sober. (Who knew? Gosh, and I didn't fall down either.)

* I had a number of relatives and friends die and I didn't find it necessary to take a drink.

* I got the ax and involuntarily retired after 15 years with the company twice while sober and I didn't pick up a drink.

* I got involved with AA service work and working with alcoholics in my community.

I'm sure you know someone (maybe even you?) that abuses alcohol. Suggest they go to AA. It is a lifesave.

An aside: One of my favorite jokes while drinking was asking what the difference was between a drunk and an alcoholic. The punchline was "an alcoholic has to go to all of those meetings." It is a bit ironic that those meetings saved my life.


3 comments:

  1. Proud to call you friend!

    DB McNicol
    A to Z of GoldenDoodles: http://ourprimeyears.blogspot.com
    A to Z of flesh fiction: http://dbmcnicol.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back to the blog world pops! Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pic, DC! So much better than walking around town at 1:00 AM searching park benches for a photo op.

    Good post. Someone will read it on just the right day and it will resonate with them. Looking forward to reading B!

    Emily In Ecuador | Almuerzo - Good Lunch Choice in Puerto Lopez

    ReplyDelete