Wednesday, April 4, 2018

D is for Darhl


I go by DC because I dislike my first two names.  The D stands for Darhl and the C stands for Caylor. If you do a Google search for "Darhl Caylor", you'll only find me.

Amazingly enough, Google did turn up a few Darhl's. It is even an acronym for Durango Adult Recreational Hockey League. I'm not sure how the other poor sods with the name ended up with the moniker, but I know how I got stuck with it.

A friend of my mother had a cute little boy about 6 months before I was born. She liked the name he was given, so she stole it. Only problem is that the silent H in his name is at the end and my mom stuck my silent H in front of the last L.

I saw that "cute little boy" at my grandfather's funeral. He was dressed in bib overalls and weighed at least 300 pounds.

One of my problems with Darhl is that no one can spell it or pronounce it.  It rhymes with Carl. Most people confuse it with the more popular Daryl -- which rhymes with Carol.

As far as the name Caylor goes, it was the name of an uncle that died a few months before I was born. He, in turn, got it from the last name of the doctor that delivered the uncle and my dad in Washington, D.C. Which has always struck me as being weird. Did my grandmother have an affair that no one in the family knew about?

My parents were aware of my dislike of the name because for years and years I signed off all letters with "Silent H".

Now, I must admit that I have been called worse than Darhl on quite a few occasions. I won't list them here since this is a family-friendly blog.

Around the computer industry, many people called me Tex because I favor western wear. Even all of my wife's French relatives still call me Tex.

If you forget my name, no problem.  I also answer to "HEY YOU!"


6 comments:

  1. I confused it with Dahl of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory fame - but that's a surname.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will always be DC to me...heck, it's been what, since 1996 or so? LOL! But I love the name Caylor and I'm stealing it for a character in whatever book I write next. In fact, he may be Darhl Caylor and be called "Tex" because of his attire. So there!

    Donna B. McNicol|Author and Traveler
    A to Z Flash Fiction Stories|A to Z of Goldendoodles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, even I will admit that I am indeed a character, so it would be fitting to be in one of your books. Probably a sharp tongued villain.

      Delete
  3. My father (Lloyd) was named after the doctor who delivered him. Affair. Hmmm. Don't think so but food for thought. At age 60 I started using my middle name instead of my first, so I get the alt name thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where I live in Ecuador, I see some interesting spellings. Silent letters and two letters that can sound the same seem to be the ones I find interesting. Jhonny is the best auto mechanic in town. Javico owns a big grocery store but there are two signs above the entrance and one says Xavico. I've never asked which is correct. So you'll have company if you ever visit Ecuador.

    Emily In Ecuador | Dolphins - Puerto Lopez

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny how nicknames stick, right Pops!

    ReplyDelete