Friday, April 6, 2018

F is for France




I absolutely, positively love France!

I will admit that I had a typical American scepticism of France when I was asked to spend a year there working for CDC bcak in 1967. But the per diem doubled my salary and I got a free furnished 3 bedroom apartment, so I agreed.

After a French friend from the bowling alley (only one there that spoke English) in Toulouse introduced me to his former girl friend and skating partner in Holiday on Ice, my perspective changed.

Thanks to Claudine, I was introduced to France as a native would see the country. Her grandparents lived in an old 4th floor walkup in Paris; her parents lived in the same tiny apartment where Claudine grew up; the matriarch of the family was the first woman Senator in France and was a leader in the WWII Resistance and lived in a high-end apartment in Paris.

The French are super polite -- which Americans have a hard time accepting given a few rude waiters at tourist spots.  Just a couple of easily learned customs and you'll be accepted and welcomed.

First off, when you enter a shop always say, "Bonjour, Madam"  as a hello. It is a custom. And, when you leave say a thank you of "Merci, Madam".  Believe me, you earn points immediately for doing that.

Handshakes when meeting and leaving someone is expected. Air kisses are reserved for the opposite sex and for someone you know well.  I actually had a hard time with this when I started working at Sud Aviation.  I couldn't remember if I had shaken hands already with someone that I then met a hour after arriving. Offer to shake hands a second time and they look at you questioningly; not to offer if you hadn't met them yet was an insult. Considering there were about twenty French around the computer room, you can imagine my problem. After two or three weeks, I started getting air kisses from some (but not all) of the female coworkers. Yet another memory problem for me.

While there, I learned to drive like a mad Frenchman. And I actually still love to drive in Paris. I know the city well and can speed along with the best of the French. Yes, even around the Etolle -- the large circle around the Arc de Triumph. Twelve streets empty into it and it is about twelve lanes wide with no lane markings. FUN!

When I left France in 1968, I went to London for three weeks to install a new computer there. My car, me and Claudine hopped across the English Channel in an airplane like the one pictured above.

I brought Claudine back to the states with me and we got married. We celebrated 49 years of marriage back in February.  She became a US citizen in 2000.

I bet you know what to do if you see RSVP.  But do you know what it is an acronym for? RSVP stands for Repondez S'il Vous Plait or please respond in French.

My wife does advertise our French connections on her car. Her vanity plate translates to "French Iceskater" and you see her "I Love Paris" sticker and my cowboy hat behind it.


5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your love of France with us. I hope to visit someday.

    It would get confusing to know who's hand you have shaken and who's is still to come. In Ecuador, we have the same entering and exiting buildings customs, of course with Spanish replacing French. Hard to underestimate how important those customs are to people unfamiliar with them.

    Congratulations on 50 years of marriage next February!

    Emily In Ecuador | Fish Market - Puerto Lopez

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a good experience. I had the opposite experince as a teenager in 1968 and have never wanted to return. Amazing how such simple experiences color our lives and outlook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, the May 1968 riots were a bit tough. If you were there then, I can imagine your negative thoughts about France. But, you really should try the country again.

      Delete
  3. My family, on both sides, emigrated, centuries apart from the south of France to Canada and I lived in Nimes as a young girl. In 2014, my hubby and I spent a year driving across the country. I have so many fond memories even though I choose not to live there! So glad you enjoyed your time there. Thanks for sharing a bit of it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Several customs similar to what we experienced in Ecuador - the store greetings, both coming & going, and the personal greetings when meeting someone - first time or not!

    First off, when you enter a shop always say, "Bonjour, Madam" as a hello. It is a custom. And, when you leave say a thank you of "Merci, Madam". Believe me, you earn points immediately for doing that.

    ReplyDelete