Friday, May 31, 2019

Life's Lessons

  A #fotoflash entry for Donna McNicol's challenge




I firmly believe that everyone does dumb, stupid, dangerous shit when they are in their early twenties. My niece is certainly no exception.

She had left our family vacation rental at the beach in the early evening and gone to a beach party bonfire.

She had not returned.

Fearing the worse, I took my trusty drone with me and trudged down to the beach to look for her.

I found the bonfire ashes and a case of empty beer cans only. Sighing, I put the drone in the air.

With me watching the drone's camera remotely on my iPad, I scanned the beach and surrounding sand dunes. No luck.

Going farther afield, I scanned a nearby seawall walkway.  THERE SHE IS!

I zoomed in and could see she still had her bathing suit on and that she was breathing and had her hands over her eyes to shield the sun.

Perhaps it was time for one of life's lessons.

I brought the drone back and picked up a bag of popcorn that was laying slightly hidden in the trash by the old bonfire.  Hmmm.  Popcorn is light in weight.

I had jury rigged a bomb drop contraption to my drone so I could drop small water balloons on my buddies. Perfect. I attached the bag of popcorn to the drone. Flew it back over my niece and let the popcorn drop.  Bullseye!

Waking up with a bad hangover and a hundred hungry sea gulls dive bombing you should teach a good life's lesson.

She struggled into the house an hour later. Her eyes were bloodshot and she was covered in sea gull bird poop.

"I will never drink again!"

I smiled. Been there; done that. I didn't stop doing stupid shit until I hit my thirties. Unfortunately, I would bet she won't either.

3 comments: