Saturday, May 25, 2019

Hello, American Cowboy


A #fotoflash entry for Donna McNicol's challenge




As an admitted Francophile, I try to spend at least a couple weeks in France each year. I love the country, the food, the wine, the people and the culture. This year my destination was Nice,

I have dressed western since I was a kid and had horses and ponies. I just feel comfortable in jeans, a western snap shirt, a cowboy hat and boots.  It's not the attire that one sees in France often. (Although an amazing number of guys do wear cowboy boots.)

I was exploring Old Town in Nice and happened upon a narrow alley and decided to investigate.  As I was slowly meandering up the alley and taking a couple of photos of the unique buildings, someone softly said, "Hello, American cowboy. Are you lost?"

Standing in a doorway was a pretty, local girl who appeared to be in her twenties. Since the French typically speak two or three languages, I wasn't surprised by the comment in English.

"No, I'm not lost. I am just exploring Old Town and found this alley intriguing."

"It is special to me," she said, "since it is our home. I live with my grandmother here in the old family apartment."

I smiled and said, "Please give my regards to your grandmother. She has a very nice granddaughter."

"You are most kind, Mr. Cowboy. She is not well and I am her -- how do you say it? -- caregiver. Would you do me a big favor and come in and say hello to her. She is a big fan of western movies and it would mean a lot to her."

I wasn't sure if this was just a robbery setup, but the girl seemed sincere. "Okay. My name is Carson. What's your name?"

Claudine. I was named after Claudine Longet." she replied. She turned and went into the ground floor apartment. I followed. It was a small, neat apartment.She said to her grandmother in French, "Mama, this is an American cowboy, Mr. Carson, he came to say hello."

Mama looked me over from head to toe. In a cross, rapid-fire burst of French, she said, "Claudine, don't you dare to even think about dating an American cowboy!"  

I started laughing. They both looked confused. In perfect French, I said, "Claudine, you never thought to ask me if I spoke French."









2 comments:

  1. Perfection!!!!! I love it...you have to keep participating!

    DB McNicol
    author, traveler, shutterbug
    Writing Blog
    Personal Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a good one. Many a people have been caught by not realizing the person they were talking about spoke their language.

    ReplyDelete